Education & Qualifications


We endeavour to provide career focussed childcarers for our family clients. In order to do this we ensure that all of the candidates that we reruit are highly experienced and or qualified in their chosen profession. 
There are many courses and qualifications that Nannies and teachers can obtain, including the following:


(Level 2 and level 3) CHILDREN’S CARE, LEARNING & DEVELOPMENT. Professional Practice - students will work with a range of children aged 0-8 in a variety of settings e.g. Private Nursery, Primary School, Special School. Taught units of work – units of work cover a variety of areas e.g. Understanding Children’s Development, Keeping Children Safe, Children’s Learning Activities and Play, Communication with Children and Adults. Core units must be passed in order to gain the qualification.

The Council for Award in Childcare and Education. They are a specialist body that develops courses and qualifications in child care. CACHE Level 2: Certificate in Childcare and Education (CCE) – a one-year full-time or two-year part-time course for students wanting to be child care assistants. Having gained the Certificate, you may progress to other qualifications. CACHE Level 3: this is a two-year full-time or three-year part-time course, it covers health, safety, nutrition and educational play for ages up to seven. Around 60% of student’s time is spent in college and the remaining 40% is spent with different age children on placements in homes, day nurseries, hospitals and junior schools. https://www.cache.org.uk

The Chiltern College is renowned for its high quality unique childcare training.  The Tutorial Department is well equipped and designed specifically for the study needs of childcare students with two light and well appointed teaching rooms, a large hall, library and computer suite. Consistently received “Exemplary” Inspection Reports from our Awarding Body and have consistently received a 100% pass rate for the Diploma Course. Their nurseries have also recently been awarded an “Outstanding” Ofsted grade. http://chilternntc.com 

MNT Training are independent training providers of accredited courses for child-carers including Nannies and Maternity Nurses and are regarded by many as the UK specialists in training for Maternity Nurses. Common core skills training for all sectors of the children's workforce (home-based and non home-based) to meet Ofsted requirements. Supporting teaching and learning (STL) teaching assistant courses. Expanding range of childcare courses available including childcare courses from home, nanny qualifications and teaching assistant courses for teaching assistants. Most of the courses are accredited either by CACHE, OCN OTC or the PFAA  www.mnttraining.co.uk

The Montessori approach is holistic and aims to develop the whole child. Fundamental to the approach is the belief that a child’s early years from birth to six are the period when they have the greatest capacity to learn. The Montessori Method is an internationally renowned qualification.  It is a holistic curriculum that aims to develop the child socially, intellectually, physically and emotionally. In order to graduate as a Montessori teacher, you will need a minimum of a college degree and a year's student teaching under supervision. Once you graduate, you can work with infants, toddlers, pre-primary or elementary level children. https://www.montessori.org.uk 

NNEB – National Nursery Examination Board (CACHE Diploma)
This is the most recognised qualification. The course is full-time for two years. The syllabus covers all aspects from birth to 7 years and includes studying health and first aid, the child’s physical, intellectual, emotional and social development and communication and play. Students also spend part of their studies in practical placements such as schools, nurseries, hospitals and private families. More recently, the NNEB has been replaced by CACHE Level 3 Diploma in Childcare. 

The Norland Diploma is a distinctive and prestigious qualification which is studied alongside the degree course. All students must successfully complete not only their degree but also each element of the Norland Diploma in order to use the title 'Norland Nanny' (or ‘Norlander’).In order to achieve the Norland Diploma students must successfully complete a certificate in all 3 practical lectures, obtain food hygiene and first aid certificates and successfully complete each of their practical placements and their probationary post.  http://www.norland.ac.uk

NVQ – National and Vocational Qualifications
This is the latest recognised National Vocational Qualification where candidates are assessed on competence in performing in work situations, where they are able to show their knowledge and understanding of the work concerned. The NVQ Level III is equivalent to the NNEB qualification.

The Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) is a one-year course in England, Wales and Northern Ireland for undergraduate degree holders that allows them to train to be a teacher. In addition to the PGCE qualification itself, those taking the course in England or Wales are recommended for either English or Welsh Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), which is required to teach in maintained schools in England and Wales. Those passing PGCEs in Northern Ireland are granted 'eligibility to teach' in Northern Ireland (equivalent to QTS). Though the QTS/eligibility to teach only applies in the Home Nation it was awarded in, applying for QTS/eligibility to teach in either of the other two Nations is a formality and is nearly always awarded to PGCE holders. Furthermore, the PGCE is also widely-recognized in Scotland and the rest of world, allowing holders to easily register as teachers there. This course includes credits towards a master's degree.

Teaching English as a foreign language (TEFL) refers to teaching English to students whose first language is not English. TEFL usually occurs in the student's own country, either within the state school system, or privately, e.g., in an after-hours language school or with a tutor. TEFL teachers may be native or non-native speakers of English. www.tefl.org.uk

Qualified teacher status (QTS) is the accreditation that enables you to teach in state-maintained and special schools in England and Wales. Anyone who wants to teach in a state-maintained school in England or Wales needs to gain qualified teacher status (QTS). To achieve this award, you need to complete a period of initial teacher training (ITT), which will enable you to meet the professional standards for QTS; a formal set of skills and qualities required to be an effective teacher.

Bachelor of Education (BEd) 
Bachelor of Education (BEd) programmes typically last three years. In a university-led training programme, students explore the principles of teaching and learning. Training programme content will vary dependent on the provider, however, students tend to cover core subjects (English, maths, and science) in their initial year of study, before a more in-depth focus on their subjects and teaching practice. An undergraduate route for those who would like to follow a career in teaching, BEds are a popular route for prospective primary school teachers. Some providers do offer secondary-level BEd programmes for specific specialisms. As part of the training programme, you will train and teach in at least two schools.







Candidate Registration Form